Chung Kuo (Revisited)

Monday, July 26, 2010
For better or for worse, I'm (just) old enough to remember when "mainstream" analog synthesizers were new and mysterious. I can recall an early teenage afternoon at Draper's Music Center in Palo Alto (it's no longer there I'm afraid) making strange and wondrous sounds on a Yamaha CS-80, and marveling at the bulky landscape of sliders and push-buttons. And ever since that time, there's been a permanent place in my sonic heart for fat, analog synth sounds - Wendy Carlos, Isao Tomita and Vangelis providing the bulk of those tones.

Fast forward to today….

I recently purchased a great batch of samples of the Roland VP-330 Plus - one of the greatest Vocoders/String Synths - at Hollow Sun. For those of you who don't already know, besides the Vocoder section (listen to the solo on ELO's Mr. Blue Sky), the VP-330 was one of the main "goto" synths for lush string and faux choir pads. So when I loaded the samples up and hit that big chord... I was suddenly back in time; warm analog string tones pouring out of my speakers. And within a few minutes, I found myself playing the chords to Chung Kuo, by Vangelis. You remember the tune don't you… from the Mercury Lynx commercial from the early 80s? So once I had the chords down, I decide to attempt to recreate the entire song, and that's what I'm presenting to you below.



A few performance notes: This isn't meant to be a 100% note-for-note recreation, but I wanted to capture as much feel of the song as I could using similar tones and "signature" lines from the song. With the exception of the VP-330 samples, the bulk of the analog tones are coming from Applied Acoustics Systems Ultra Analog VST (8 instances). The melody line is played on Ichiro Toda's Synth1 VST.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did making it.

And for those of you who have the VA-1 VST, here are the patches I created.

5 comments :

Palo Alto Jeff said...

Damn, dude. Well done!

Unknown said...

Great job! My love of Vangelis began on the visual effects crew
for Blade Runner. We used “Spiral” as background music for the
scenes of flying cars & miniatures when the shots were ran for approval
in the screening room. I also had worked on the Lynx commercial, but had
no idea how cool it would be. I saw him perform at UCLA – what a show!

I’ve been collecting soft synths, and went ahead and got the Ultra Analog.
It’s very nice. Tried to download the Synth1, but it only comes in Windows
(I think).I also have the Arturia suite and the Minimonsta. I’m using Logic
with 3 keyboards. Could you tell me if the 8 instances were presets or were
they custom. Thanks a lot – more Vangelis!

Christopher Clement said...

Randallini - Thanks so much for the kind words. All of the sounds I tweaked from presets that were "in the ball park" of what I needed. I will be posting the Ultra Analog presets to their User Library, but you can email me if you would like them sooner.

Unknown said...

Thanks for getting back. Yes, I'd love to have them now! gr85@earthlink.net

Best Regards,

Gary
(Randallini)

dude163 said...

very cool!

well done

Post a Comment